Last week we headed back ‘on the road’ for the first time delivering group briefs to units.
Our Chief Executive, Neil Marshall visited the Royal Navy CO and XO Designate Course at HMS Collingwood with 30 attendees, and Ali Waddie our new Roadshow Manager visited MAB12 at Hereford Garrison, where she also had 30 attendees, a full quota since numbers were restricted to comply with COVID regulations.
A lot of the questions centred around McCloud and the uncertainty for SP leaving in the near future including:
1. How and when the McCloud decision will be implemented.
2. Will SP be rushed into making a decision if things develop in their last few weeks of service.
3. Will annual allowance and breaches be created if SP revert back to legacy schemes.
To answer the first question, it may well be several months before the enabling legislation can be put in place and is likely to be at the end of 2021/start of 2022.
and to answer the second and third, we have made a presentation to the MoD Armed Forces Pension Board setting out three key criteria against which we will judge the success of the implementation of the remedy.
- everyone affected by the remedy will be given sufficient time and information for them to make a fully informed decision;
- for serving personnel, timely and appropriate enhancements to the AFPS pension calculator will be made to help individuals forecast their likely benefits;
- those affected by the remedy who have so called ‘complicating factors’ including Pension Sharing Orders, Medical Discharge, Abatement, Death in Service or in Retirement, AVCs/Added Pension and Pension Taxation (Annual Allowance, Lifetime Allowance) should be able to access further information and guidance from the pension administrator, Veterans’ UK.
This initiative is in line with the Society’s practice of holding governments to account on behalf of our Members and the wider Armed Forces Community.
It was great to see such a good turnout, and to see much interest and engagement from the audience, and for those newcomers to the Society, please be assured we will be on hand to guide you through the decision-making process when the time comes.
Although we are back on the road, we are still taking bookings for webinars - the choice is yours. For the full roadshow programme see here or to enquire for your unit email Ali Waddie at email@example.com