Forces Pension Society

Fighting for the forces and their families

Deaf Awareness Week

Jo Fitton-Bates
By Jo Fitton-Bates
May 14, 2018
Deaf Awarenesss Blog

This week Veteran’s Gateway is highlighting the help available to veterans who experience hearing loss.

The Royal British Legion’s Veterans Medical Fund programme offers support to ex-Service personnel who have a serious physical injury or suffer from hearing loss acquired in Service. It offers support for hearing loss and mobility.

The fund was designed in cooperation with the Ministry of Defence (MOD), National Health Service (NHS), Department of Health and specialists in the medical and Armed Forces charity sectors. The fund is available to veterans across the UK and aims to support those whose needs cannot be met through statutory services.

How can I apply for help with hearing loss?

To apply for the Veterans Hearing Fund, you will need to fill out an application form.

You will also need to send a copy of your service record, including documented evidence that proves hearing loss was acquired in Service. If you do not have a copy of your service medical records, complete a subject access request form and return it to the appropriate service records office.

If audiometry records are unavailable, complete the application with a copy of the confirmation that records could not be found.

If your eligibility application has been successful, you will receive a second stage application form. You will have to take this to an audiologist of your choice to complete. The audiologist will suggest what equipment or treatments can help improve your quality of life.

Harris Tatakis received help from the Veterans’ Hearing Fund:

Harris Tatakis in Combat Gear

Find out how the Royal British Legion helped Harris with getting revolutionary tinnitus treatment

< More from our Blog