Job specification for a new Chief Executive
The Forces Pension Society is a not for profit organisation which offers advice on Armed Forces pensions to its members and makes representations to the Ministry of Defence on behalf of all Armed Forces pensioners on issues of Armed Forces pension policy and administration.
It has been growing rapidly in recent years and now has over 52,000 members. It is highly influential in issues of pensions policy and administration. It has a reputation among its members and more widely for its expertise in pensions issues and its high levels of customer service.
We are looking for a new Chief Executive who will build on recent success and work to increase membership and influence, to the benefit of all those receiving Armed Forces pensions, now and in the future.
The role also involves editorship of the Society’s Pennant magazine, which is much admired.
The Chief Executive is responsible for the leadership of the Society’s staff of 15 based in the headquarters in Vauxhall, London.
The candidate will report to the Society’s Chairman and Council, and will need to:
- Be a serving or retired member of HM forces, with a proven track record of leadership, people and financial management at a senior level; or have an equivalent background which provides the same experience.
- Have the authority and presence to be influential when representing the Society externally.
- Demonstrate practical experience of decision-making in Whitehall and of regular interaction with senior officials and Ministers.
- Be persuasive and have excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrate some knowledge of the Armed Forces Pensions schemes, and of pensions issues more generally; and be prepared to become expert in the detail of these schemes.
- Show an awareness of the statutory, regulatory and governance requirements facing small organisations
- Have experience in utilising the full range of communications tools, including taking responsibility for the Society’s magazine Pennant, newsletters, website and social media.
Six figure package available.
If you are interested in this role, please submit a covering letter and CV to the current Chief Executive on firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 28 September. If you wish to discuss the role you can call John Pitt-Brooke on 020 7840 6614
You can also read some interesting background information about the role in the interview with John Pitt-Brooke here