The Society is seeking a further member of the Pension Enquiry Team to provide pension advice to serving and retired service personnel on the operation of the various Armed Forces Pension Schemes.
About the Society
The Forces Pension Society is a not-for-profit, independent membership organisation that looks after the interests of current and future UK Armed Forces pensioners. It is a watchdog, a lobby group and a provider of professional advice to its membership, which comprises both serving and retired Armed Forces personnel. In recent years the Society has gone from strength to strength, with increasing membership (now well over 55,000), a strong independent voice and considerable influence and reputation. The Society has a full-time staff of 15, supported by several consultants and is based in Vauxhall, South West London.
The Pension Team
At the heart of the Society is the Pension Team, currently six strong. The main task of the team is to provide expert, independent technical advice on the Armed Forces Pension Schemes. The reputation of the Society relies upon this advice being accurate, authoritative, clear and timely – and thus depends upon the quality of its Pension Advisers.
The new member of the team will not be expected to be a pension expert on joining, although previous exposure to this area would be ideal. The candidate must show the background, interest in the issues, and the willingness to learn to become expert in a reasonable timescale. The new member must be able to reach a position to give high quality advice after a period of comprehensive training which will require determined application. Military experience and a detailed knowledge of the Armed Forces will be a distinct advantage although is not essential.
The role of the Pension Adviser is to:
- Provide technical advice to members, predominantly on-line but also by telephone and face-to-face.
- Conduct formal presentations as part of the Society’s briefing programme.
- Liaise as required with the Ministry of Defence and its delivery arms in order to understand policy formulation and assist members.
- Contribute to the Society’s horizon scanning and trend analysis activities to shape ongoing campaigns.
- Starting salary £43,000 p.a. (£39,500 base plus £3,500 London Weighting).
- 10% Employer pension contributions (no employee contributions).
- Interest-free season ticket loan.
- 30 days annual leave (plus all Bank Holidays).
- Comprehensive training and development package.
- Office-based in Vauxhall although some working from home is permissible subject to agreement (routinely one day a week).
Please apply by submitting a CV and, in no more than two sides of A4, write a supporting statement which meets the person specification and outlines:
- your reasons for applying for this position;
- your experiences to date which you feel make you a suitable candidate; and
- an indication of your strengths, both personally and professionally.
All applications should be submitted electronically to Head of Pensions at firstname.lastname@example.org by 1200 hrs on Friday 2 August 2019.
The aim is to conduct interviews for those shortlisted in the week commencing Monday 12 August 2019, with the successful candidate starting at a mutually agreed date shortly thereafter.