About the Society
The Forces Pension Society is a not-for-profit, independent membership organisation that looks after the interests of current and future UK Armed Forces pensioners. It is a watchdog, a lobby group and a provider of Armed Forces Pension Scheme guidance to its membership, which comprises both serving and retired Armed Forces personnel. In recent years the Society has gone from strength to strength, with increasing membership (now over 65,000), a strong independent voice and considerable influence and reputation. The Society has a full-time staff of 18 and is based in Vauxhall, South West London. Demand for our services is growing rapidly.
The Pension Team
At the heart of the Society is the Pension Team, currently 10 strong. The main task of the team is to provide expert, independent technical guidance on the Armed Forces Pension Schemes. The reputation of the Society relies upon this guidance being accurate, authoritative, clear and timely – and thus depends upon the quality of its Pension Consultants.
The new member of the team will not be expected to be a pension expert on joining, although relevant experience in the financial arena would be ideal. The candidate must show the background, interest in the issues, and the willingness to learn to become expert in a reasonable timescale. The new member must be able to reach a position to give high quality guidance after a period of comprehensive training which will require determined application. Military experience and a knowledge of the Armed Forces would be an advantage but is not essential.
The Role of the Pension Consultant is to:
- Provide technical guidance to members, predominantly on-line but also by telephone and face-to-face.
- Conduct formal presentations as part of the Society’s briefing programme.
- Liaise as required with the Ministry of Defence and its delivery arms in order to understand policy formulation and assist members.
- Contribute to the Society’s horizon scanning and trend analysis activities to shape ongoing campaigns.
- Starting salary £50,358 p.a., initially on a fixed term 2-year contract
- 10% of salary Employer pension contributions (£5,037 – no employee contributions)
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- 30 days annual leave (plus all Bank Holidays)
- Private medical insurance
- Comprehensive training and development package
- Office-based in Vauxhall, working from home as agreed
Please apply by submitting a CV and, in no more than two sides of A4, write a supporting statement which meets the person specification and outlines:
- your reasons for applying for this position;
- your experiences to date which you feel make you a suitable candidate; and
- an indication of your strengths, both personally and professionally.
Applications should be submitted electronically to the Head of Pensions at email@example.com by 1200 hrs on Mon 23 Oct 2023, with assessments and interviews scheduled for Fri 3 Nov 2023. Candidates who are invited for interview will be required to undertake a written exercise and present a short brief, the details for which will be explained nearer the time.
The successful candidate will start on Mon 15 Jan 2024 or a mutually agreed date thereafter. If short listed we will ask you to provide the contact details of two referees, one of whom should be your current employer.